-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Monday, September 4, 2017

guess the set, part two

As noted in my previous entry regarding this subject, Rick did reveal to us the new setlist would feature some changes (though, sadly, no "Changes") and the Western leg of the tour has indeed included two of the songs I guessed - "South Side of the Sky" (from Fragile) and "I Am Waiting" (from Talk) - but not a third song as was originally stated, although three other pieces were taken out of the set: "I've Seen All Good People," "Changes" and "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish."  The drum solo was also excluded from the introduction to "Lift Me Up" which I felt was a proper gesture of solidarity, given that Lee's solo is no longer included (although he does get to vamp for 24 bars or so during "Heart of the Sunrise").

In his Grumpy Old Rick's Ramblings entry for September, Rick reveals the third song:
Greetings from America where the tour is well and truly under way. It all started in the middle of August when I was reunited with my keyboard rig and we did some programming of sounds for the new pieces that we were slotting into the set, namely “Southside of the Sky” and “I am Waiting”. We also rehearsed “It Can Happen”.
We're already four shows in and the band is playing as well as ever. Audiences have been fabulous and the energy they give us really helps us to raise our game.
There's a lot of travelling which I will admit I don't enjoy but it's nice to see old friends at many of the shows.
I have to say that particular selection totally surprised me when I read it, but then I thought about it for a few minutes and realized that it too was a tribute to Chris, as "It Can Happen" is a song primarily associated with him - not only for his unmistakable harmonies and bassline on the version which appears on 90125, but the song in its' original form was a collaboration between Chris and Trevor and featured Chris on lead vocals (singing mostly different lyrics).  And so then I could see why they would consider swapping out "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" for that song.  However, it's not clear if we'll actually get a chance to see/hear it performed on this tour.  Rick stating the song had been rehearsed indicates (to me, at least) that for whatever reason they decided to leave it off the final setlist.  As it stands now the setlist is exactly evenly-split between Classic Yes and YesWest songs and to add another song would bring them back up to the two-hour mark, but it may be the principals are more comfortable playing a slightly shorter set at this juncture.

With my thanks to those who have inquired, I plan to have the first week's Tour Report posted within the next couple days.