-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Friday, June 7, 2013

Media Watch: Progression, issue 65

An ongoing series wherein I comment on Trevor's recent publicity.

Although I'm about a month late with the news, with thanks to Yesfans member bleakhouse, I can now expound on a new interview with Trevor in the progressive rock journal Progression, the story is in their Spring issue (No 65) which is now available for purchase and can be ordered directly from their website:
http://www.progressionmagazine.com/
This is, of course, one of a few rare print appearances for Trevor in the last three years.

The article, "A Welcome Return to Form" is written by long-time Yes fandom enthusiast Tim Morse, whose popular book Yesstories: Yes In Their Own Words was published in 1996.  The subject matter focuses primarily on the album, but also discussion of Trevor's work in film scoring as well as future projects.  There's a few details which didn't feature as prominently in other interviews, such as his history with Hennie Bekker (although it was something Trevor discussed during his in-store appearance last year) and an interesting reaction to the album from someone at Varese Vintage.

The last section of the article addresses those topics fans are most desirous to learn about now, post-Jacaranda.
-Including discussion of the AWR project:
"...We really want to try to do something.  I've had a great idea of using drummer Taylor Hawkins and he's really into it.  So I'm not sure when or how, but the intent is stronger now than it has been.  We've been talking conceptually, but not really trading musical ideas.  When Jon heard my solo album he immediately started singing over everything saying, 'Oh the album's done!'  Typical Jon."
(For those who might wonder as to the appropriateness of this choice, Trevor and Taylor have been friends for a few years now, introduced by Chris Squire, and Taylor is an admitted fan of both progressive rock and of Yes.)

-as well as solo projects to come:
 Looking ahead, Rabin says he's considering another instrumental solo album but isn't sure.  "I'm pretty impulsive and restless," he says.  "My head's always looking this way, that way.  I'm definitely going to do another jazz album.  I'm in the middle of writing a guitar/dobro concerto and that's going to take a long time.  I know if I don't do it now it'll never get done.  So I want to discipline myself and get started.  And I do want to do a regular progressive rock/vocal album."
-and a discussion of touring:
"I'd love to do Jacaranda live.  If all the stars line up and the people are available.  I'd love to have Steve Morse and Steve Lukather as guitarists. Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, Vinnie (Colaiuta) on drums.  I think it would be a wonderful tour, but it would take a lot of money to put together.  I don't mind going on the road and losing money, but it has to be very special and for a good reason."
(Interestingly, one of my crazy ideas for a performance scenario for Trevor involves Luke (as Steve is known to fans), who has been a friend of Trevor's since the 1980s.  My idea involves putting together a band of fathers and sons, with Trevor and Ryan and Steve and his son Trevor.  It would be the second time that Ryan and Trevor Lukather have been in a band together.)

Whatever awaits us as fans, it's clear from this interview that Trevor is looking forward to making himself (and us) happy making music, and that's exactly as it should be.