-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Wednesday, September 21, 2016

finally, a "Rescue"

As I noted in my entry "Meeting the Maestro," one of the things which occurred during Trevor's in-store appearance to promote Jacaranda in August of 2012 was affording those in attendance a sneak preview of his video for "Rescue."

At the time, I truly expected it would be out when my interview with him was finally published in October of that year, as I had inquired about his decision to create his own videos to promote the album.  I was interested in knowing if he had made any changes since the version he showed us.  But as the delay grew longer I wondered if he was going to reshoot it - we had waited quite a while for the release of the video for "Anerley Road" so I chalked it up to Trevor's perfectionist streak taking hold once more.  Thus I had to note in my text that the video would be released "in future."

But I - nor anyone else, of course - had no way of knowing that it would be years before everyone else was able to view it.

And it's two years ago today, in fact, when seemingly out of nowhere, Trevor posted an update to his Facebook page with the video.  He wrote:
I did this video a while ago. The record company was keen on doing a strategized release, I had decided not to release it.
I honestly don't know why he wasn't happy with the video and as the composition itself had great meaning for him it seemed a logical choice to be the next song to promote via a video release.  Trevor had noted on a few occasions that he wanted to create a video for every song on the album but I imagine other promotional duties coupled with a return to scoring work meant he no longer had the time to devote to such a big project.  From my memory of seeing it two years earlier it did not look as if he made any changes to it in the interim.


The video is an interesting mix of images: shots of Liz Constantine miming to her vocalization on the track either layered with or filmed while standing out on the back deck of the property - the background view is of the Los Angeles Basin at night.  Also included are some of Trevor's paintings, such as Johannesburg, and extreme close-ups of the Strat.  Stylistically-speaking it's a very simple kind of video compared to the one for "Anerley Road" but I think it fits the meditative mood of the song.  I appreciate that Trevor allowed everyone to finally view it, but I have to admit I'm disappointed that there weren't any more videos filmed.  For example, I think a montage of photos of Trevor and Ryan through the years intercut with footage of them playing in The Jacaranda Room would have made a fabulous video for "Me and My Boy."