-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Guide to Field Recordings: (nice organ)

Uploaded last week on the Yes Source YouTube channel was this recording from Trevor's club tour to support Can't Look Away, featuring the segue into "Promises" which took the form of an instrumental version of Trevor's song "You Know Something I Don't Know" (aka "Carry On") but as most long-time fans know the tour took place in the fall of 1989, rather than 1990 as appears in the video's description.


I've compared this to the bootlegs I have in my collection and determined that it is likely from the November 29th performance at Toronto's Diamond Club, as that is one of the ROIOs which was in circulation years ago (and the intro is the same, but then again Trevor's stage patter was pretty much the same every night as far as I can tell).  Trevor introduces his keyboard player and Mark Mancina lets loose with a great Hammond lead.  As I've previously noted, the solo spots were edited out of the Los Angeles performance which was recorded for the eventual Live In L.A. album release, save for 30 seconds of Lou's drum solo in "Sludge."

As for the song itself, there is an existing version which has also been in fandom circulation for a number of years and it has been uploaded on the Yes Source channel along with all the other demos and associated recordings of that era.  I'm not certain how much documentation exists regarding the sources, but I suspect this is from of one of the many Cinema work sessions to develop the material brought into the collaboration by all involved, as it features a run-through with the band (who are amusing themselves during their rendition).  This version does have vocals, though the somewhat poor quality of the recording means it's difficult to make them out.  I would assume this is one of the songs Trevor composed sometime after the advent of his solo career.