-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A decade of Rabin-esque

2021 is the year of a few anniversaries as regards the Yes fandom world...the Yesfans site/forum is 20 years old this month.  And the Yes Music Podcast has logged a decade as of this year.  Congratulations to both of these bastions of Yes lore and interaction.  May we all continue to be enriched by their efforts.

And today marks the tenth anniversary of the debut of Rabin-esque.  I can remember the discussion I had in 2009 regarding the idea for its' creation as if it happened just the other day.  Where does the time go? indeed!  But I can honestly say now that I'm happy to have undertaken this endeavor, and I hope it will last far into this new decade.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone for their time and attention over the years, I hope that what I have provided in the form of news, commentary and general fandom activity has been of value and enjoyment to you.  Thank you for coming along on this journey with me, your support is a wonderful thing to experience.

Beyond my thanks to my favorite musician for being so gracious and kind in every encounter I've had with him during the past 12 years, there's a few other people I wanted to acknowledge...one of them knows who they are and I'll leave it at that, but also much love and thanks to Cee for being a true and loyal Friend of the Blog, and to Henry Potts for his support, kindness, and continuing erudition.  And much love to my dear edgyspice for her amazing talent in fulfilling my fangirl Trevor art commissions as well as being the very best of Prog Geek girlfriends.

In the ten years since the initial "soft open" of Rabin-esque there's been some interesting occurrences/developments in Trevor's career...

  • the release of Jacaranda, Trevor's first solo album in 23 years
  • the induction of Yes into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, with Trevor becoming the first South African to receive that particular honor
  • the return to live performance (after 25 years) via touring with ARW, and an accompanying live album/video release as well as the viral airing of the new song "Fragile/Touch"
  • a move into scoring for television dramas, including two seasons of fan favorite 12 Monkeys
  • a featured appearance in SCORE, the first documentary devoted to the subject of film scoring
  • the release of Changes, a career retrospective boxset
...and I feel truly fortunate that I have had the opportunity to witness and chronicle all of these events, as well as the privilege of interviewing Trevor twice in that timespan.  I am gratified by my worldwide readership and response thereof as well as my continued involvement in Yes fandom.  It's a labor of (fandom) love for certain.  Fanworks are an expression of gratitude and enthusiasm for the artist and should always be encouraged as long as the motivations remain within the boundaries of appreciation strictly for its own sake.

Everyone who is a long-time fan of Trevor's knows that he has had a fascinating career overall, and that is a primary motivator for me as a fan and a commentator: to learn and appreciate more about his history and evolution as a musician and performer.  I hope my readers continue to find it as interesting as I do.  I also hope new fans find their way to this blog and enjoy its' contents, deepening their own appreciation of Trevor's talent.

Here's to better days for all of us and in continual appreciation of the gift of Trevor's creativity: then, now, and always.  Salud, Maestro!