-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Friday, January 15, 2021

imposter syndrome

I've previously blogged regarding people pretending to be Trevor on social media and it looks like there's another one now on Instagram - the account @tcryes.  I imagine this has already been discussed in some of the Facebook groups but as I'm not a member of any of those I only found out about it this week.

There's not much content - just a story linked and one post - but both of those things raise various red flags to me as well as any long-time die-hard fan who is familiar with Trevor's online presence and posting habits up to this point - a subject I have also covered/opined upon over the years.

In support of this impression I thought I would list my reasons as to why I am asserting this account is fake; and I certainly welcome any views/feedback/insight via email as to why someone might think I'm wrong or lacking particular information.  But I really do think it's fairly obvious.

The name: I honestly do not believe Trevor would name an Instagram account in that fashion, as I would imagine he'd be able to obtain a verified account as a public figure/celebrity in the same way he did for Facebook and Twitter.

Frequency of social media engagement: Most of us are fully aware that Trevor has not posted on Facebook (his primary venue for the aforementioned activity) in over two years now.  So why would he now create an Instagram account and start a podcast?  As someone who spoke with him over the past year, I can verify Trevor is focused on finishing his new solo album and even if he were to start another project or hobby, I honestly can't believe it would involve podcasting.  It's true that a lot of people are getting into podcasting - both as an acknowledgment of its' popularity as well as the way in which the online world has been impacted by the pandemic - but given Trevor's existing relationship to social media overall I would say he would be one of the least likely people to do this.

Bio: That bio is just...weird.  The whole thing.  I could break down every detail but I would hope it wouldn't be necessary for the people who read this blog.  But especially linking 90125 on Spotify because although Trevor has promoted his own work he's never been a shill for it.  If he was going to link anything in his bio it would likely be the Sharespace website he announced back in 2018.

Additionally, I will say that the choice of the user icon is the only likely thing which might be considered legit.

The story: as noted there is an story linked - we've seen details of Trevor and Shelley's house over the years via various sources and I really don't think that's it.  But I will say I believe that they do celebrate secular Christmas so it's not the presence of a Christmas tree which is the tell, so to speak.

The post: This is really the bait, of course, though to what end exactly I couldn't say. But I have not been able to find actual evidence of this alleged podcast anywhere, even beyond the outlets listed in the post.  There is a podcast with that name, but created by someone else.

I address these comments to "Trevor" in reaction to parts of the text:

-1- Behind the scenes producing our album "Close to the edge"

Uh...do you mean the 1972 Yes album Close To The Edge which you were not involved with at all?

-2- Episode 1 is joined with a good friend and film writer John Grey, John and I worked closely on one of my first film appearances in The Glimmer Man.

That guy you've got pictured there, that's director John Gray.  I mean, if it was someone you valued you'd want to get their name correct, right?  But also, the real Trevor wouldn't necessarily want to devote an entire podcast episode to that movie - and I know this because I've discussed it with him on two separate occasions and I know what he thinks of it.

In summation...it was fairly easy to debunk this for anyone, not just me, and I imagine there's other fans who've done just that in the two weeks since this account appeared.  I just feel bad for anyone who might have thought this was genuine.  As we know, if Trevor desires to give any update on social media he's going to post to his Facebook page (which will automatically crosspost to his Twitter account) and although I think many of us would love it if he decided to create his own podcast, I really don't see it happening.  And that's okay too, even if his current non-presence means that certain bad actors with parasocial fixations/lack of boundaries are attempting to fill the void.