-->

Introduction:


A series of essays wherein I explore the numerous musical identities of my favorite musician: from child prodigy to teen idol to guitar hero to singer/songwriter to award-winning in-demand film composer.
Featuring news/updates and commentary/analysis of Trevor's career and associated projects.
Comments are disabled but please feel free to contact me at rabinesque.blog@gmail.com.



Monday, September 18, 2023

Julian Laxton

Musician, songwriter, engineer/producer, and legendary figure in the ZA rock world Julian Laxton passed away on September 9th.  As long-time fans are aware, the combined efforts of Trevor, Julian, and Patric van Blerk are responsible for the amazing production of the two Rabbitt albums which Trevor appears on, but particularly their second release A Croak and A Grunt in the Night.  Yet another great production project from the team was Margaret Singana's album Tribal Fence from 1977.

This article notes many of Julian's achievements in the music scene over the years, although they fail to note that he came to prominence with '70s era seminal rock band Freedom's Children.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2023-09-09-award-winning-south-african-musician-julian-laxton-has-died-reports/

Trevor posted this tribute to his personal Facebook page last week:

It’s hard to believe that my brother in sound has passed.
Julian Laxton was one of a kind.
The 1st guitar player to blow me away. I was speechless.
Johannesburg city hall. Early seventies.
He was also the 1st engineer to blow me away.
He was an absolute magician in the studio.
He always managed to match his unbelievable imagination with technique and talent.
No one could do what Jules did.
A visionary.
Jules was always loving and kind to me.
A gentle soul with a fierce undeniable talent.
I cannot believe you’re gone my brother.
I loved you and will miss you .
Trevor.

My condolences to his daughter Kashya and family, friends, and fans throughout the world.